Many wonderful and amazing quotes have come out of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings series by J.R.R. Tolkein. But there is no one with more wisdom to share than Gandalf. First off, I love Gandalf. He’s cheeky, sarcastic, humble, he’s powerful without seeming like it, and his presence demands respect. There is no one else like Gandalf. Now, there are some phenomenal quotes by Thorin, Aragorn, Samwise, Galadriel, Elrond, Beron, etc. But those I’ll save for another day.
For this post I’m going to overlook the cheeky ones, such as, “What do you mean? Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?” See what I mean? Such a cheeky old man. Anyways, like I said I’m skipping these for now and focusing on the real gems. The ones that I think everyone needs to hear, and I mean really hear. Not just read it and it’s in your mind for a split second then gone again. These are ones that should be thought about and remembered. So, take your time with these and enjoy!
- “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
- “I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay.”
- “Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life.”
- “I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.”
- “End? No, the journey doesn’t end here. Death is just another path, one which we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it: white shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.”
That’s all I have for now. I’m hoping to make a special post later today (technology willing) but we’ll see. But tell us, what’s your favorite Gandalf moment?